Thursday, August 23, 2007

Worst Movie Ever?

I've seen a lot of bad movies, but Dead Clowns has to be right up there. I'll save my comments for the next Splattercast, but my goodness...I'm flabbergasted at how a movie like this can get distribution from a place like Lion's Gate. Doing a little research, I noticed that the film was actually made back in 2003 and has been released in Europe. It must have gotten noticed across the pond by Lion's Gate. Maybe it did some great business over there? God this movie is terrible. It's a bad, bad ripoff of The Fog with clowns that look like Fulci zombies.

While everyone is clamoring about the upcoming football season, being the basketball junkie I am, I've been following USA basketball. This is what I like to see. Basketball is my sport of choice and I've been angered by the way our country has performed in the recent Olympics and World Championships. There is no reason anybody should ever beat us. Ever. Yeah yeah, I understand how the rules are changed slightly for international play, and I get that the world just goes into a zone defense to stop our athleticism, but if anybody seriously thinks that Argentina can field a better group of players than the U.S., you're insane. Our problem the past few years is a lack of interest by the players themselves, a neglect of the "team concept", laziness, and the refusal of superstars like Kobe and Shaq to play. I hate Kobe Bryant, but does anyone think we would have lost a game the past couple years if he was on the team? If we've got our best on the court, and they aren't taken out every 4 minutes in an effort to get "everybody minutes", nobody can beat us. With Kobe and Redd draining 3 pointers from everywhere, we've now got some bonafide "i can hit a shot from anywhere on the court" players. Now, if someone can coax Shaq into stomping on some twig Euro centers for us, we should be good to go :)

Speaking of sports, Florida St. just named Drew Weatherford their starting quarterback. This isn't surprising, but both Weatherford and Xavier Lee suck, so it doesn't really matter. Weatherford is a scarecrow who is mediocre at best. Lee has great athleticism, but since he has never really been given the opportunity to play, he always forced a lot of stuff when he was in the game, causing a lot of turnovers. It's kind of sad because Lee was a huge recruit and in my opinion, should have been given the keys to the car from the beginning over Weatherford. Bowden is just way too loyal.

The next two Netflix movies coming are Entrails of a Virgin and The Legend of Hell House. I remember seeing Entrails a long time ago and remember it being pretty hardcore when I watched it, but at the time, I hadn't seen much "extreme" horror so I don't know whether or not my memory makes it out to be gorier than it really is or not, so I figured I'd revisit it in preparation for our "gore-a-thon" next Saturday. I'll have to dig up my Slaughtered Vomit Dolls notes. I've done a little preparation for this and already and I've been having trouble coming up with anything positive to say about these "gory for the sake of being gory" movies. I think it will be fun to sit down and watch all of these with everyone, but I'm wondering how much we'll actually be able to take? 7 or 8 hours of straight torture and murder may be enough to turn all of us psychotic :) I'm most interested to hear what Jeff has to say about these movies. He's got far more expertise in this area of horror than I do and I think he's the one in the group that "likes" these movies. I can't honestly say that I enjoy watching torture for the sake of torture. I'm not against extreme gore and violence in movies by any means, but if there is no real context or subtext to why it's there, I find it as nothing more than pretentious horror geeks trying to "push the envelope". Still, I'm looking forward to watching the movies with everyone. It should be a fun time....as long as Deejay doesn't go nuts and slit our throats :)

Speaking of which, I'm twistedly looking forward to seeing Halloween next week. A bunch of clips were released this week but I forced myself to not watch any of them and I've been avoiding clicking on any Halloween news or message board threads and every time a trailer pops up on TV, I change the channel immediately. I've been doing my best to put my mind in the best frame possible for when we see it, sorta by trying my best not to think about it at all. Still, I'm a horror fan at heart and it's impossible not to get a little excited about the film's upcoming release. Halloween happens to be my favorite horror film ever, by my favorite filmmaker ever, and even though there's that "how could you remake this!!!" teen punk angst popping out, the fan in me still would like to see the movie be really good. On one level, I hate the idea and Rob Zombie directing, but on another level I'm so damn curious that my anticipation is really growing.

Alyssa and I checked out the new Super Target yesterday and are extremely happy to report that we will no longer be going to Wal-Mart ever again. Yay. The prices (at least right now) are cheaper or the equal for what we buy grocery-wise and their fruit isn't nasty and fly ridden like Wal-Mart's. Speaking of Wal-Mart, I heard that they got rid of all of their self-checkout's because people were stealing electronics by distracting the employee's? That's funny if it's true.

Here's another 20 of my favorite films and an obligatory picture of Joan Blondell

41) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
42) Back to the Future
43) Curtains
44) The Blob (1958)
45) Robocop
46) Escape from Alcatraz
47) Five Star Final
48) Three on a Match
49) Pet Sematary
50) American Psycho
51) Cube
52) Happy Gilmore
53) Creepshow
54) The Day the Earth Stood Still
55) Invasion of the Body Snatchers
56) The Wolf Man
57) Existenz
58) Street Trash
59) The Fly (1986)
60) Seven Samurai

No comments: