Thursday, August 9, 2007

Stardust looks sucky


Stardust looks like the biggest pile of crap hitting theaters this year since Evan Almighty. I can't decide whether it's just the horrid trailer (which unwisely states all the things "you've seen before") or if the story just looks unoriginal and stupid as all hell. Of course, I haven't read the book it's based on, and I'm sure Neil Gaiman wrote something interesting, but there seems to be zero buzz about this movie. I'm predicting that it will crash and burn this weekend. Maybe I'm just put off by fantasy male leads named Tristran...

I caught Shadow of the Thin Man earlier this afternoon. Good stuff, however it's much less interesting than the earlier Thin Man movies. William Powell and Myrna Loy are still great together, but this film is far removed from the raging alcoholics they were in the first film. Nick still likes his cocktails, but now that the characters have a kid, they are far more "mature", therefore losing much of the charm they had together on screen. The wisecracks just don't have the same oomph that they used to, but Asta is still awesome.

C+

Speaking of Monday, I'm going to be very interested to see how the guys react to the film I selected for review for this week's Splattercast,
The Body Snatcher. I don't think any of them, particularly Deejay, really get into old films like this. Since I'm planning on only picking older films to review from now on (in an effort to introduce these great films to our audience, which probably hasn't seen any of them, and to give some background info on the films), it'll be fun to see whether or not the guys hate it, therefore dreading the next film they've got to watch from me, or maybe they'll like it and anticipate the next one. Should be interesting...

No comments: