Sunday, August 5, 2007

Cagney loves the big screen


Just finished up paper #3 for my film class. I wrote a ton about one of my favorite films, The Public Enemy. Only a week and a half left in my final college film class ever. It's going to be weird to walk out of that final day of class knowing that my film education is effectively over at UNL. Even though I've seen many of the films we're screening this semester, it's still awesome to watch Cagney slam a grapefruit in a dame's face on the big screen. Fittingly, the final day of class is what I'm looking forward to the most: a screening of Karl Freund's The Mummy, which I absolutely love and have never seen on the big screen before. I know most of my friends find it dreadfully dull, but I think it's a far more entertaining flick than the oft-praised Lugosi Dracula. At least my film career at UNL is going out with a bang.

Mitt Romney is looking more and more like a crazy loon. Way to drop a Dr. Strangelove reference there, Mitt. I do find it interesting that he is desperately trying to beat up on Obama who is way down in the polls behind front runner Hillary. You would think that a guy hoping to win the Republican nomination would spend more time on his own party's rivals then a guy with virtually no shot at unseating Hillary. Mitt Romney as president? Never. Going. To. Happen.

The Simpsons Movie dropped an astounding 65% of its audience from last week. That's not surprising since the film isn't very funny. As I predicted, Sicko is not the gargantuan hit that people were expecting it to be. It's going to finish its run right about where I said it would. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the DVD release will be next year, probably early summer, to coincide with the election hoopla. It'll make far more money on DVD then it did in the theatres.

Now, off to watch Popcorn...

No comments: