Friday, August 3, 2007

A near death experience a month late


See that collapsed bridge? I've crossed it many times. That bridge happens to be a necessity in order to get to the Shriner's Children's Hospital that my family visits twice a year. My mom, grandma, and sister were on that very bridge one month ago for my sister's checkup. My mom and grandma are rattled quite a bit by what happened. This incident will do nothing to help my mom's fear of bridges.

It's very strange to know that you've made regular trips across that bridge and that it could have fallen at any moment. Then again, that's life. Much like a random terrorist attack, bridges and buildings will fall, trains will go off their tracks, and vehicular accidents will occur. Live everyday like it's your last.

I'm disallowed to give specifics since it's supposed to be part of a "media blackout", but the company I work for just scored a high priority, high level contract to do some work in a country that happens to be in the news right now. Those of you who know me can probably guess what I'm hinting at. Let's just say that the Bush administration knows who's the best there is at what they do.

In the past couple of days, Barack Obama has been criticized for saying he would not use nukes in Pakistan and Afghanistan and that if Pakistan wouldn't round up the terrorists in their "tribal region", he wouldn't hesitate to send troops into that country to take them out. And he's being criticized, why? First off, dropping a nuclear bomb on any Arab country would be the most retarded thing ever. You think they hate us now? Watch what happens when a nuke lands on their soil. And sending troops into the western "wilds" of Pakistan is something I wholly support. A recent report came out that said Al Qaeda has set up training camps and is using the area to plan, possibly hide Bin Laden (I've always wondered...doesn't make more sense for him to be in Iran?), and carry out attacks across the borders. Why the fuck aren't we blowing the shit out of that area? Oh yes, I forget, because George Bush is buddy buddy with Musharraf. Which kind of defeats the whole purpose of all his "any country who harbors terrorists is our enemy" mouth excrement. Look, I get it. Pakistan has nukes and you don't want to piss off Mr. In Power Via a Military Coup. But if Al Qaeda is sitting in the hills, laughing their asses off, and Obama says "Blow me, dickheads", I don't see how you really can't support that. As far as I'm concerned, he's right on both points. Go learn more. Incidentally, this is one of the few instances that I wish I had a car. I'd love to go see Obama speak in Iowa sometime before the primaries. I've never been to any type of national political rally or anything. Maybe I can wear my girlfriend down to accompany me to an Obama event :)

I'm really looking forward to going over to Steve's next friday and having an all-night extreme horror movie marathon. I love doing those and sadly, it's rare that it ever happens. One of my favorite things in the world is to just sit around with friends on an all-night movie bender. It's unfortunate that "adulthood" seemingly murders time. In any event, I'm really looking forward to eating pizza and watching women disemboweled.

I'm planning on an upcoming post that will reveal my 113 favorite movies ever. The hip thing to do is add that extra number (such as 101), but I'm going to do the top 113 just for the hell of it. Bog Creatures will not be on that list. Look for that soon.

p.s. Democrats got some interesting stuff done this past week. You wouldn't know it from the media, though. A tighter ethics bill and more healthcare for the poor.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Yes, commenting again; what can I say, I'm a fan ;)

So... I like how you're into sabre-rattling brinksmanship when it's that dreamy Tiger-Beat candidate Obama doing it. And that's not totally a dis; I think all of our politicians, especially the Dems should talk more smack to all of those countries. Still, whatever you think of General Musharraf, he is an ally and he does allow our planes to go through his country on their way to Afghanistan. That's an important logistical thing that our military needs. If we run roughshod into Pakistan without their "ok", they may cut that route off.

And as for going to a rally... I'd say don't fret about it. I went to a Kerry-Edwards appearance, and even a Bill Clinton appearance back when I first moved to Jefferson City. Now, of course, I'm certain Obama is much more interesting at a rally than Kerry-Edwards were (good grief, those guys sucked) but still, you're not going to hear anything new, you're not going to learn anything that you couldn't find out on his website. I myself wouldn't bother going to a Giuliani appearance, or whoever the Rep's guy will be. Better off staying home and playing video games.

Maybe a convention would be cool to attend. I dunno, I've taken a pretty cynical turn lately. I still believe all the same things, I just don't see anyone as being "my guy" right now.