Saturday, August 11, 2007

Gearing up for a long day...

A long day of work and then my Uncle's National Guard retirement/birthday bash at 6. I hate long days.

My friend Brady (sorry to keep bringing this up, buddy!) went to a rock concert last night to see one of his favorite bands, The Rentals. He raved about the show and how great it was to see them live on his myspace blog.

This got me thinking about our debate about theater vs. television. It's the same type of thing in many ways. A rock concert is expensive, has tons of sweaty people, is smoky, and is generally a chaotic thing. If you really wanted to, you could toss in a CD in a good quality stereo and get better sound and better quality songs (less screwups, etc.). So I'm curious to know if he would consider a live show "superior" to listening to the band at home or heck, even watching a DVD of a show. I'll probably have more to say about this when I have more time, but now I gotta run to work.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I think it's a pretty different thing. A concert is a live performance, a live demonstration of skill and a chance to spend time in the presence of artists whose work you enjoy. At a concert you'll hear well-loved old material, not just a track-for-track performance of a current CD, and you may hear brand new material as well.

When talking about DVD-vs-Theater, you're watching the exact same film, the exact same images are presented to you. I'm not entirely disagreeing with you about the special things that go along with the "theater experience", but concert-vs-CD is quite different, almost to the point of being incomparable.