Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It's filthy hot outside

This hi-def war is so stupid. Judging by some of the comments posted on the site, most people find it moronic as well. Personally, I have no real desire for a hi-def player right now. Standard definition suits me just fine. If I don't have a problem watching 70 year old film prints barely hanging on to life, I certainly can stand watching one of the near archaic DVD's on my bookshelf. There's no doubt that I'll eventually get a hi-def TV. My girlfriend insists that she just doesn't see any real jump up in meaningful quality, so there's no real reason to purchase one. Inevitably, everything will be going to HD, so I know I'm going to have to get one at some point. However, I will not be repurchasing all of my DVD's. In fact, I probably won't be buying many HD flicks at all. It'll take many, many years for DVD to go the way of VHS (which I still watch and love, by the way. Screw you HD) and by that time, maybe HD-DVD will have finally given up its losing struggle (I'm of firm belief that the reason it is losing the "war" is because its name is too close and similar to that of DVD. Blu-Ray just sounds futuristic and it rolls off the tongue. HD-DVD sounds like a standard DVD with more extras while Blu-Ray sounds like something from outer space). In any event, I'll be sticking with standard for the foreseeable future.

I went and saw Sunshine last night. It's really good. Not much beneath the surface and the plot seems to fly in 20 different directions during the last third of the film, but it's great fun to watch. It's got a real Event Horizon-ish vibe going on, so much so that at times it feels like a remake of that film. I guess you can consider Sunshine a companion piece to Event Horizon? There's some gore in Sunshine, but the main difference between it and Horizon is that it focuses far less on the "this ship went to hell and came back!" aspect. Sunshine is more grounded in "reality", though that term may be a reach. Still, it's a definite must see in the theater.

Scientists are throwing together the proteins needed in order to create life. This will happen at some point in the future regardless if the 3-10 year prediction doesn't hold water. I wonder what will happen then. Will religious people get all up in arms or will they just shrug and say "Um...somebody had to make those proteins in the first place" :) Then what happens when scientists start making things "out of thin air" by using nothing more than energy and molecules, reenacting mini "big bangs"? Then what are people going to say? It probably won't happen in my lifetime, but I'd love to see what happens to society in 100 years. Who knows, maybe by then science will have stopped the aging process, or reversed it, and I'll be able to find out!

It's been so damn hot across the country that I'm not surprised to read articles like this. Have you ever noticed that when it is scorchingly hot, you don't find any articles on sites like Drudge or the mainstream media for that matter, about how or why it could be related to global warming? However, when temperatures get low or there is some freak snow storm, all you get is stuff about global warming? It's a textbook example of trying to demonize and ridicule a certain topic. That's fine, though. We'll all find out who was correct in 50 years :)

Here's 20 more of my favorite films off the top of my head:

21) Red Dust
22) La Jetée
23) The War Game
24) Commando
25) Predator
26) Predator II
27) A Simple Plan
28) Terminator 2: Judgment Day
29) The Great Mouse Detective
30) Evil Dead II
31) Spider-Man 2
32) Scream
33) A Nightmare on Elm Street
34) A Nightmare on Elm Street 4
35) Aliens
36) The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
37) Them!
38) Goodfellas
39) In the Mouth of Madness
40) Cannibal Campout

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I'm not really in either format's camp; don't have any HD-movie player. IMO, Blu-ray is superior on the surface, since it's capacity is much higher than HD-DVD's. For example, there's a new John Woo-themed game for Playstation 3 coming out, called Stranglehold. It looks sort of Max Payne-ish... but anyway, on the same Blu-Ray disc that the game comes on is a high-def version of Woo's classic film Hardboiled. That's pretty cool; buy a video game and get a high-def movie as an extra on the disc!

So, there are definitely some neat things that these formats can bring us. For me, I'm not grumbling about the format war - that's just how progress is made; competing ideas are presented and they have to duke it out. What I will be doing, though, is sitting patiently on the sidelines and waiting until the technology is well established and more affordable for the "average joe".