Sunday, July 8, 2007

"If you can find the money to kill people, you can find the money to help people"


I saw Michael Moore's newest flick "Sicko" earlier today. It's easily Moore's best film to date and should be required viewing for those who don't think a universal health care policy is feasible or possible. Since this blog deals with a lot of political stuff, I'll save the health care debate for a later post, but if this film doesn't at least sway you in the direction of support, if only for an hour or two, then you're just a cold hearted bastard. I'd give the film a solid 9/10.

I'm just about to go make some cheeseburgers and finish watching Band of Brothers , but an interesting thing happened over the 4th of July that I feel helps vindicate my position that viewing a film at the theatre is far superior to the home viewing experience in every way. If you think watching a movie on a 32" television screen is just as good as going to the theatre, you're wrong. Even If you think watching a movie on a 52" television screen is equivalent, you're wrong. In the coming days, I plan on describing why this is true and why I'm absolutely right and my friends are so completely wrong. The battle between the cinematic theatre experience and the home viewing experience will be brought out in full force. Thanks must go out to my mother who made a comment about Night at the Museum that I believe helps support my notion that the theatre experience is not only completely different than the home viewing experience, but also superior.

Steve and I got together over the 4th of July to blow up some explosives and go over the potential next feature length film for Dead Lantern Pictures. We've come up with a solid premise but have become stuck on some major points in the film and at this point, if nobody can help rectify the plot difficulties, we'll be in big trouble (in little Lincoln...bad joke, my apologies). Basically, the film is The Thing in a barn. I want it to have the same feel as that film, yet have a different tone. We'll see if anybody can offer some ideas.

So, in the coming days, look for blogs on health care, the movie viewing experience, and more. By the way, the new Seven Wonders of the world were announced. Apparently, Catholics came out in full force for "Christ the Redeemer", whereas the pagans just couldn't quite get the Acropolis (and thus the Parthenon; a temple to Athena) onto the list. This is the biggest travesty on the list, not because a giant statue of Jesus is classified a "wonder" (indeed, two of the original wonders were giant statues...the Colossus of Rhodes and the Statue of Zeus) but because there is nothing inherently special about Christ the Redeemer. I could make an argument that it was more impressive and "wondrous" for the multiple Easter Island statues to be on the list over Christ the Redeemer. Again, I'm not knocking Christianity. I'm saying that in this day and age, building a giant statue just isn't all that impressive compared to other structures. I wouldn't even have put Christ the Redeemer in the running let alone crown it one of the new seven wonders of the world. As for the other wonders chosen, I can live with them.

Until next time....

No comments: