Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Damn, it's been a while...


Wow, I haven't posted in a long time. Not sure why. I blame being busy.

Florida State got a big win against Alabama. The coaching staff finally got some goddamn sense and put Xavier Lee in at quarterback, benching the scarecrow (a.k.a Drew Weatherford). Hopefully this move will be permanent. Lee has already been named the starter this weekend which is a positive sign. He'll make some mistakes, but he's far more talented than Weatherford. Who knows, maybe they'll actually break that 5 win total I predicted they'd get this year.

I watched yet another Democratic debate on MSNBC last week, and once again, Obama did nothing to help himself. I've sorta tossed my hands in the air and resigned myself to the notion that Hillary is going to be our nominee. I haven't given up. Maybe Obama knows something we don't know. There are some internal polling reports floating around claiming that he is actually leading in both Iowa and New Hampshire. Winning those two primaries would definitely change the race dramatically and make him the front runner. His problem is that he's running on not attacking his opponent. I'm all for making politics a nicer place, but you can't simply change 200+ years of how politics works in your first primary. You gotta start playing hardball with Hillary, and sadly, he won't do it. It's a shame because he could really nail her on multiple issues.

My Philosophy class has been like a revelation to me. I finally found somebody with credibility that has the same views as I do (mostly...) on viewing art. The dude is David Hume. What's ironic is that he was a total subjectivist. Most of my friends fall into this category. Essentially, a subjectivist's position is that everything is relative. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. Can you really judge a piece of art objectively? A subjectivist would say no. However, Hume was having a difficult time reconciling his views as a subjectivist and facing the "reality" that there are accepted standards for "taste". Without going to far into it, he listed 5 criteria that come together to create objective standards. The ironic thing is that in trying to use subjectivity in a theory of aesthetics, he actually created a template for the opposite. Stuff I've been arguing for for years is straight out of Hume's "On the Standard of Taste" essay. In my free time, I plan on reading a criticism of Hume's essay by Peter Kivy. Anyways, this Philosophy class is great and really gets my mind going. I'm thinking of starting a "Know your Philosopher" category on Deadlantern, giving the main arguments each of these philosophers have on how you judge art. Maybe we can enlighten our listeners and readers :)

I'm tied with Steve at the top of the standings for the Dead Lantern Fantasy Football league. Considering I constantly sign and drop players, I've considered myself extremely lucky to get my wins. I pretty much owe my three victories to Tom Brady, who keeps amassing yards and touchdowns at an MVP rate. Now I'm glad Jeff took Peyton Manning :)

I made it a point to watch the Cavemen series premiere tonight on ABC. It is one of the worst shows I've ever seen. I will not be watching it again. On the positive side, the season premiere of Dexter was rockin' and it's pretty much the only thing that's decent on television right now.

Now, I'm off to watch my first Uwe Boll movie, Alone in the Dark. Please pour a libation for the Cthonic gods on my behalf if you don't hear from me again :)

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I'll definitely make a note to look into this Hume fella when I have some time (which will probably be never, but oh well, at least my intentions are good)

On the subjectivity thing... one thing I've often pondered about the small group of people I've discussed such things with is that many people will believe in objective standards for judging artistic media and, for lack of a better term, recreational pieces of work (movies, music) but will be totally opposed to objective standards on many moral/political issues, while I'm sort of the opposite: judging moral/political issues according to objective standards and artistic media according to subjective ones.

Oh, and I'm with you on the Caveman show. Weak sauce. I predict it'll run for about 3-5 episodes. Too bad, because I really liked those insurance commercials; I thought they were clever and fun.