Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Splattercast is filthy


For those of you who don't keep up on such things, next year is going to bring lots of negative publicity on Hollywood. That's because, the Directors/Writers/Actors unions have expiring contracts and they are all expected to go on strike at the same time, effectively shutting down Hollywood. There's a bunch of horror films that have been fast tracked into production and the writer of the article brings up a good point, albeit without really following up on it. Are all of these movies going to suck because they are being made as fast as humanly possible? In the mad rush to have a bank of films ready to be released in the event of a prolonged strike, is there a big potential for low quality output? I think so. There's only so much talent to go around and personally, I'd prefer to see the Wolf Man or Black Lagoon film a couple years later if it means the quality will be better rather than some rushed hack job in order to have something to release. Of course, on the plus side, the horror genre has thrived throughout its history on rushed hackjobs, so maybe everything will turn out fine :)

More Republican congressional seats in jeopardy. That first one hints at the bigger problem for Republicans. If they can't get at least a small majority of Hispanic voters to vote for them like African-Americans vote for Democrats, then it could be a looooooong time before we see Republican majorities in our government. This will become especially prevalent in 10-20 years when more and more Hispanics coming to this country. I wonder if Republicans will stick to their current philosophy or change in order to court the Hispanic vote in the coming years? If the Democrats secure the Hispanic voting block, it's game over for Goopers. Game over.

Looking for ways to improve the Splattercast, I've been browsing around various horror message boards, looking for info on what people like and hate in a podcast. Overwhelmingly, it seems people are just looking for shows that focus solely on horror (i.e. stay on topic and don't veer off into stuff they either don't understand or have no interest in) and, most importantly, aren't filled with crass jokes about other non-related stuff. I'd like to start giving out more horror info and at least attempt to allow our listeners to learn something practical about the genre. I think we need more debate and fresh segments, but I have no idea what those would be. Gotta start brainstorming. I did find it quite humorous that one of the moderators on the Rue Morgue board wouldn't include us in the main list of horror podcasts because of our filthy mouths, ah well :) I like our crassness, but we do have a tendency to go overboard a bit (I'm looking at you, Deejay) and fly way off topic. But I think that must be part of our charm, because we've got a lot of listeners. Can't please everybody, I suppose, but I think we can improve.

After I get back from the haunted house tomorrow, I'm gonna catch the Florida St. Wake Forest game. Last year, Wake Forest beat us like little bitches, 30-0, in Tallahassee. I'm hoping we can pull out the win at Wake to set up a big game with Miami at home next week. Go 'Noles!

Mark it down, Oklahoma State's spread offense will shred Nebraska this weekend. OSU's problem this year has been a constant string of turnovers that have caused them to lose all 3 of their road games. If their offensive line can give the QB time, Nebraska will be in another shootout. Here's hoping Nebraska goes down in flames just so I can watch Callahan scrunched up face again.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I do try not to swear too much on the Splattercast. I try to avoid the big ones like "f_ck". Dropping f-bombs all over the place does sound really terrible, IMO.

I think the "tone" of our show is really good, very accessable and inviting, not snobby or elitist. I think we're generally pretty funny, but of course I'm partial.