Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"God hates faggots"?

I suppose one of the downsides of going to a public university is that you get extreme religious wackos that feel the need to preach to you about the fires of hell as you walk to class. For the past week or so, there has been a group of Christians standing in front of the Union, yelling out to everybody about how Jesus hates "faggots" and that pretty much the entire college is one giant Satan love orgy. This isn't a new phenomenon, by any means. Christians are constantly out and about on campus, railing against various things. I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem when they are walking around holding billboards that say "God Hates Faggots". First of all, doesn't their God love everybody? What disturbs me the most is that there is always a huge contingent of students sitting around listening to their hate speech.

So what I'd really like to do sometime is get a group of people together, dress up like the gods of ancient Greece, and preach right next to them. I'd like to stand right beside one of these douchebags holding a lightning bolt and telling the audience not to piss me off else I'll fry their asses. I'd like a girl to dress up as Aphrodite and preach how awesome sex is and how it's a natural part of life. That would be funny and great all at the same time.

Speaking of annoying Christians (I don't mean to dog on this, but I have yet to have a Muslim come up and annoy the piss out of me), I get off work a couple weeks ago on a friday night. Every weekend, there is a couple Christians who stand on the corner of our downtown theater holding a giant white cross and yelling at people who walk by. The way the walk lights turned out, I just happened to walk right by the guy. Oddly, there weren't that many people out that night so I was the only person on the corner with him...except for two little girls on the opposite side, standing by the light pole. These girls could have been no older than 7 years old. They were a ways away from the lunatic with the cross, and of a completely different ethnicity. I figured they were just waiting for their parents to pick them up from a movie. So I'm standing there, waiting to cross the street and one of the little girls says "Here you go" and hands me a small business card. I didn't really look at it and I said "What is it?". The girls looked at each other and said "Um...it's just an IQ test". The walk light turned and I started across the street. Naturally, I glanced down and it was your typical "Are you going to burn in hell?!" propaganda.

That wasn't what pissed me off. What pissed me off was the fact that not only did this asshole carrying a cross feel the need to invade my personal space by yelling that I was going to burn in hell as I walked by, but he had a couple little girls trying to whore his message to passersby. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure he instructed them to LIE about what it was they were handing people. I seriously wanted to walk back over there, ask the little girls if Jesus loves liars, and then break the cross over that dickhead's face.

As you can tell, I've been pretty angry lately. So angry in fact that I told an annoying little girl to shut the fuck up here at my apartment "complex" who was getting on my last nerves. Argh!

In other, somewhat less angry news (but still unhappy), Hillary Clinton is crushing potential Republican candidate Rudy "9/11!!!" Giuliani in Ohio and Pennsylvania. As of right now, Democrats are way up in Senate races, Governor races, and the Presidential race. It's weird, because much has been made of the low ratings of congress, which the Democrats control, but those low ratings do not seem to be transferring to individual races. It leads one to believe that there is a huge Republican backlash sweeping this country right now. It's almost like voters are in the frame of mind that "we don't give a shit who the opposing candidate is, as long as it's not another Republican". I guess that would also explain why the Democrats in congress aren't really worried about anything even with historically low approval ratings. The Republicans in congress are getting just as bad reviews by the American people. It is quite possible that come next November, the average Republican in America will wake up to see a Democratic President with a fillibuster-proof congress staring them in the face.

1 comment:

DrumN4LIfe said...

wow.... I accidentally came upon this site cuz im working on a greek god project but ya im a hard core Christian and i didnt really like what you wanted to do but i agree with you completely on everything else and what they were (are) doing was and is worse than your plan... i dont agree with "fags" and i used to hate them when i was to young to kno any better but ive learned that you cant hate them and even if you do you cant be outside screaming at them telling them to burn in hell....these people cant be true Christians cuz if they were they would be showing love not hate...your totally right though, ive never seen any kind of these "protests" yet i live in a large city thats mostly protestant so i dont kno what it looks like but from your description its already beginning to piss me off...nice post man, God bless.