Friday, January 18, 2008

There is no truth....or snow....


Orangutan Island is kickass. The show follows a group of orphaned Orangutan's that have been saved and put together in close proximity with each other on a small island to coexist. The show is just fascinating. These animals are solitary by nature but put them together and they start using tools, helping each other, and testing their human constraints. In one episode, a group of Orangutan's from a neighboring island not only tested the electric fence, but started dismantling it when they found it unexpectedly shut off. I can't believe their are dickheads that go around killing them. Anyways, it's a good show and I recommend taking a look.

The professor of my Christians and Pagans class is bizarre. Just bizarre. He explained to everyone in class today how to prove that snow falling from the sky is just an illusion (objects can't move an infinite distance in a finite amount of space), how red is actually green and vice versa, and that there is no such thing as truth. Every fundamental institution and way of thinking is apparently not real at all. We're trying to wrap our heads around Cicero's "on academic scepticism" and it's mind-numbing. Seriously, try reading this. It'll give you a migraine. Luckily, my friend Jeff is in the class with me, so at least I have somebody to bitch to :)

My african-americans in film class is very interesting. Especially since one of the requirements is that we do a visual presentation of some kind for our final (i.e. a video). Luckily, one of my friends from past film classes is in it as well. I'm thinking about trying to convince him to make a blaxploitation film with me :)

My other english class started out like shit. I thought it was going to be terrible. Then we read Rip Van Winkle and had a fun class discussion about it and I was like "Okay, this might not be so bad". Then I found out that for the next two weeks we're going to be reading gothic horror/supernatural stories from the 1800's. Wow! I'm looking forward to that. Science in the Classical World is my "easy" class at the moment. I don't foresee any difficulty in that one.

Tomorrow night I'm going to a big awards forum at the State Theatre for my job. I've been hearing murmurs that I may be receiving something. I hope that's not the case. In any event, they are catering some place called The Green Gateau. Anybody ever eaten there?

Go Barack Obama! I have a feeling this caucus won't be close, but I'll cross my fingers. Hopefully when the awards thingy gets over a 9, I'll come home to a victory. I'm decidedly pessimistic about it though.

1 comment:

redapes said...

Glad you're enjoying 'Orangutan Island'. It is filmed at one of our projects in Borneo. If you want to learn more or help us spread the word in order to raise much needed awareness and funds, please visit the Orangutan Outreach website: http://redapes.org

Thanks, Rich

Richard Zimmerman
Director, Orangutan Outreach

Reach out and save the orangutans!