Thursday, June 5, 2008

The future starts now?


Obama has won. Putting aside my animosity towards Hillary Clinton for a minute, I think all Americans, regardless of who you support, should take a second to realize how historic this moment is. For all the controversies about race that have flared up (sweet lord I hope those rumors of a tape involving Michelle Obama going batshit nuts on white people are false) it is easy to overlook the fact that our country is slowly (rapidly, even?) pushing the issue of race into the background. Young people are overwhelmingly becoming colorblind and the fact that an African-American named Barack Obama could be the next president is an incredibly important moment for America. Is race gone? Nope and you'll no doubt be hearing much more about it in the next 5 months. But its worth taking a moment to smile and recognize that America has changed and is changing. Who knows, in a couple more generations, race may not even be a major factor anymore. Gotta hope :)

I've got no idea where the next part of this blog is going to go. It's going to be a sort of stream of consciousness attempt to figure out why I "connect" with Obama as opposed to every other politician I've ever seen. I'm sure it will end up sounding overly gushy, but I don't really have a clear grasp as to why I care about "just another politician". I'm going to try and work it out, and probably fail miserably, but hey, this is my blog and I can write whatever I want :)

On a personal level, seeing Barack Obama win the nomination was incredibly satisfying for me. I've been following him since 2004, went to see him in person, donated a couple hundred bucks to his campaign and almost obsessively followed all of the ups and downs of the primary campaign. I feel like I've really invested a lot of time, money, and energy into a person I really believe in and to see, against all odds, that payoff is such a great feeling. I used to hear all these stories from members of my family about how amazing John F. Kennedy was. My grandma, as conservative as you can possibly get, would tell me how much she loved and connected with JFK. I'd ask her why and she couldn't really explain it, only that she really believed in him even though he didn't share her views. To this day, she'll tear up when you mention his assassination. For my entire life I couldn't relate to that. Most of my friends can't either. It's just a politician. In 2004 I was totally for John Kerry, but the guy didn't connect with me on any real level. Obama's different. Don't ask me why, I probably couldn't explain it. Obama supporters like to identify themselves as a family. Maybe there is something to that. I sort of feel like I'm supporting a friend or family member. I feel like we're on the cusp of changing America forever.

For all I know, these changes could be horrible. Obama could be the worst president in the history of our country. I have no idea. I'm not really talking about political ideology or inspirational speeches, I'm saying that on a personal level, the only politician out there that I connect with is Barack Obama. Why? I don't know. Maybe its a generational thing. Maybe its the hopeful, forward looking speeches. Maybe its that I agree with him on most of the issues. Maybe I just think the dude's cool. Who knows? All I know is that it feels different. I actually feel like I have a stake in what happens. I think it sort of goes back to that friend/family thing. If somebody tried to attack one of my friends, I'd take that as an attack on me as well. So everytime I hear or read some sort of anti-Obama rhetoric, I take it personally. I think its probably a lot like when conservatives get defensive if somebody says something bad about Ronald Reagan. Especially those who grew up really believing in Reagan the way people like me believe in Barack Obama. Did Reagan do some shitty things? Absolutely. Will Obama do some shitty things? You bet. But just like our friends and family, who also do shitty things from time to time, you still feel that connection to them, a sort of bond that can't be broken. Every once in a while a politician comes around that really moves people in a way that 99.9% of other politicians just can't. For me, Obama is that politician.

Trying to work through this, I think I've come to a much greater understanding of why people will defend certain politicians as hard as they do. It could very well be that said politician is doing something horrible, but that if you've connected with them in a way that creates some sort of internal bond (?), then you're far more apt to defend them to the end. For people who haven't connected and just don't give a shit, not only is it easier to criticize, but also to flat out disregard the supporters.

In any event, I've connected on some level with Obama. Am I sure what the thing is that is different about him than other politicians who have said the same things? No, but I'm sure all those Roosevelt, JFK, and Reagan devotees would have a hard time placing it as well.

In other news, Obama didn't even wait a day to start remaking the Democratic party. He has kept Howard Dean as DNC chairman (a great move) and has disallowed the DNC from taking money from federal lobbyists or PACS (a magnificent move). He's also allowing full transparency at all of his fundraisers by allowing the press to be present (wow. that's definitely a change. I wonder if McCain will let the press into all of his Republican fund raisers?)

The Democratic Party is changing for the better already!

42 comments:

Jeff said...

First off, it's not puzzling that your "conservative as can be" grandma would have liked JFK even though he was a Democrat. If JFK were active today and were promoting the same policies he did back in his time, he would not be a liberal Democrat. DailyKos would hate JFK. He was very hawkish (Cuba) and was also a big tax cutter. Not exactly in line with our modern Democrats. He'd probably be ridiculed by liberals, a la Zell Miller & Joe Lieberman.

On your infatuation with Obama... how can I possibly express my thoughts without sounding like an utter dick? Well, since it's you and one thing I prize about you is that I can always say exactly what I think (as opposed to some of our other friends with whom I moderate my tone and bite my tongue often) I will go ahead and say it...

You are a smart guy. You're more highly and more formally educated than I am. You're well-read. As I said: smart. I do not understand how a smart guy can buy into Obama when the guy has done nothing ("community organizer?") and, when he's not reading a prepared speech on a teleprompter, sounds as mush-mouthed as Bush. Did you hear the audio from this past weekend where he spoke about giving kids with asthma a "breathalyzer?" It was as bad as Bush's worst speeches.

This "hope & change" stuff is BS. He's not going to "change" anything. Unless by "change" you simply mean "make the government bigger at every turn" - if that's the definition, then I suppose he is Mr. Change.

People are buying into Obama just because it's fun. It's like rooting for a basketball team or something. Brady mentioned this past weekend that he didn't appreciate when I had said "I don't like Wes Anderson, and I think most people just say they do because it's hip."

Well, Barack Obama is like the Wes Anderson of this election cycle. Everybody loves him because everybody loves him. It's just the hip thing to do.

I could go on & on... :)

LigiaSwaney0613 said...

Cheek brings success. ....................................................

性感的我 said...

真是感人肺腑的文章~~........................................

正常關西 said...

女優大奶性交性愛淫蕩淫慾淫亂淫婦淫妹淫叫淫水淫女情慾情色做愛限制級波霸口交18禁貼圖寫真視訊援交露點爆乳潮吹裸體裸照裸女愛愛無碼尋夢視訊聊天a漫

補到 said...

青春一逝不復返,事業一失難有成。 ..................................................

不舒服的 said...

成功等於目前,其他都是這句話的註解。 ..................................................

于名于名 said...

淫亂火辣美女本土av情色視訊聊天免費色情網站性經驗色情成人影片色情視訊聊天av圖av情色情趣娃娃成人電影院淫蕩18禁色情電話情色成人網辣妹自拍台灣av女優台灣情色春宮台灣色情成人網站0401影音g點成人vcd情色影片520sex性愛圖視訊妹調情視訊美女聊天美女性交台灣性樂園成人影像走光打砲裸女寫真美女裸照露奶激突論壇情色圖片做愛線上a片做愛視訊情色成人成人交友穿幫色情a片情色全裸入鏡台灣情色網

長宜芳修 said...

thank for share, it is very important . ̄︿ ̄

RussDuckett0601蕙帆 said...

Look before you leap.......................................................

ZenaT_Pinter2284 said...

I love readding, and thanks for your artical...................................................

欣樺 said...

ut聊天77p2p85cc85st85街視訊視訊聊天ava片a片下載成人情色色情影音視訊聊天洪爺影城洪爺免費視訊免費a片免費一對多utsogo論壇ut聊天室成人片免費看................

Leonar said...

大奶妹貼圖區0204性影片觀賞露點自拍淫婦女生如何自慰色情站成人笑話av激情網愛視訊美女淫蕩av成人色情電話辣妹視訊聊天性關係情色vcd自慰圖淫美成人論壇台灣色情論壇成人聊天室自拍裸女貼圖視訊成人免費a片影片av成人網成人色情色情台灣辣妹小穴太太陰毛色情訊息裸女自拍色情影片a片論壇性愛技巧美女脫胸罩情色天堂av寫真色情視訊聊天做愛視訊成人影片床上戲情色聊天網火辣情色台灣女優性愛秘笈台灣av女優手淫自慰影片

LoganO_Kellam1 said...

想要推動天下,先要發動自己。

CarterC_嘉玲 said...

When everything is coming your way, you are in the wrong lane. ....................................................

偉誠 said...

不要把生命看得太嚴肅,反正我們不會活著離開。..................................................

DennyR_Guari佳穎 said...

上來逛逛,既來之,打聲招呼,留言支持一下囉!祝你一切平安! ..................................................

家淑AnjaN_Lav said...

Well begun is half done. ............................................................

RochelleP_Higginson瓊文 said...

免費av成人電影線上免費成人網gogo成人影片a成人短片尼克成人電影成人a免費成人dvd下載成人dvd免費看成人go成人go2成人hbo成人kk俱樂部成人人圖成人大全成人片a片成人片gogo成人片gogosex成人卡通色情片白虎圖庫尼可成人網弘爺論壇打非打非機專用網打炮論壇打飛機專區打砲遊戲打砲網站本土付費av本土成人直播本土自拍小弟弟金瓶梅影片 自拍俱樂部 小高聊天室ol制服美女影片

MinB2139 said...

85cc 色情自拍 情色聊天室 色情視訊 情色文學 視訊聊天室 視訊聊天 正妹牆 成人影片 嘟嘟成人網 微風成人 av99影片 85街 撥打電話視訊 情色聊天 UT聊天室 情色視訊 免費視訊 成人視訊 影音視訊聊天室 露點 性高潮 85st 爆乳 0204 一夜 性愛 18禁 尋夢 火辣

則義 said...

能猜得出女人真實年齡的男人也許耳聰目明,但肯定毫無大腦。哈哈!..................................................................

俊源 said...

閒來無聊逛逛blog~~跟您打聲招呼~~.................................................................

王瑞 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。......................................................................

王瑞 said...

人不能像動物一樣活著,而應該追求知識和美德....................................................................

AlphonseH_Va哲維 said...

向著星球長驅直進的人,反比踟躕在峽路上的人,更容易達到目的。............................................................

佐蓁 said...

不錯喔~你的部落格很優~..................................................................

宜FH定博林P'韓T彥 said...

great msg for me, thanks a lot dude˙﹏˙..................................................................

雅莊王edgd春2蕙婷余惠其 said...

Practice makes perfect.............................................................

倍汝蔡倍汝 said...

流浪到這裡,留言謝謝你。............................................................

玉苓玉苓 said...

用心經營的blog~^^ 加油!..................................................................

洪瑋婷洪瑋婷 said...

感謝分享唷^^~~.........................................

鄭雅琦鄭雅琦 said...

找一個懂妳的人也期許自己做一個人懂別人的人~.........................................

賴珈慧賴珈慧 said...

Judge not of men and things at first sight................................................

楊容茂楊容茂 said...

不論做什麼事,相信自己,別讓別人的一句話,把你擊倒。..................................................

小袁璇 said...

你不能左右天氣,但你可以改變心情.................................................................

建邱勳 said...

愛情是一位偉大的導師,教我們重新作人..................................................................

鄭雅雯 said...

快樂,是享受工作過程的結果............................................................

王辛江淑萍康 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。............................................................

峻胡邦慧v帆 said...

回應是我能為您做的最大的支持..................................................................

淑蕙春蕙春芬 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。............................................................

至馬馬馬馬玄馬馬馬馬 said...

enjoy your artical, thank you..................................................................

千TatianaCallan惠 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。............................................................

文岳仲君 said...

在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」............................................................